Thursday, April 9, 2009

A visitor

We have a visitor tonight. Someone knocked on our door - a couple of times - and since I don't generally answer the door in this country, I left it up to Andrew. He answered, they talked for a minute, and then he invited her in and offered her some water. And they've been talking ever since. I thought my Chinese was coming along pretty well until now, where for the last 45 minutes, I've been listening to a conversation and I have no idea what's going on. And I still don't know who she is, but I trust Andrew on this one.

My version of their conversation goes something like this - she likes something, Andrew says America is something, she says something about China and America in the same sentence, there's talk of school, and they both think things, and then some of those things are not bad and ok - wo xihuan, Mei guo, Zhong guo, xuexiao, wo juede, renhou, bucuo, ke yi - "I like, America, China, school, I think, and then, not bad, ok" - with a few pronouns thrown in for good measure.

Spy photos:


No comments:

Post a Comment